Asthma is a serious condition that can be dangerous when a person was under asthma attack. It is a lung disease cause by the production of excess mucus, swelling of the muscle and constricting a person’s breathing.In the other words when the airways swell, muscle become tight causing little air flow to pass through the narrow airways into the lungs. More thick and sticky mucus produce when you try to breath, causing you to cough and gasp for air. It is common to had asthma attack especially during the night.
We cannot cure this disease but with proper management and healthy lifestyle, we can control and limit asthma attack.
Bronchitis is a contagious disease that can infect anyone through salivation, sharing food or utensils and contact physically. However when the bronchial tubes (tubes in the lungs) are blocked or infected, you start coughing persistently, being diagnose as Bronchitis. Children as young as 2 years old can even be infected easily.
Acute bronchitis is commonly cause by the flu or cold virus or various type of air-borne viruses.
Chronic bronchitis is caused by air-borne chemical, dust, smoke particles and flower pollen. It will cause you to have mucus blocked cough which can last for 3 months or more. It can be life threatening if not treated, and lead to asthma attack. People who smokes and the elderly can be infected easily.
- Wheezing, need to breath with mouth, feel out of breath, gasping for air during asthma attack.
- Occur during the night, when exercising or playing sports.
- Rapid coughing that feel dry.
- Breathing through the mouth, difficulty in breathing, fast breathing, or rapid breathing, shortness of breath at night, or wheezing.
- Increase of heartbeat, throat feel irritated and chest being squeezed.
- Do not feel feverish
- It occurs suddenly, repeatedly and intensively.
- Feel the chest being tighten
- Having trouble sleeping
- Feel feverish
- Dry cough with thick mucus or phlegm.
- Having headaches
- Recover naturally once virus are cured
Smokers – When you smoke, the production of mucus increase and cause inflammation on the bronchial tubes.
Cigarettes – These contain chemicals that can cause the bronchial tubes to be irritated once being inhaled.
Flu or cold virus – When being contact with the virus, it can trigger cough due to the forming of mucus in the lungs. This can lead to asthma when become serious.
It happened when our airway become sensitive and react to any tiny particles in the air from the surrounding. When being expose to any lung infectious diseases, staying in a cold area for too long or having emotional set back can also cause asthma attack.
- Take good care of your home environment and make sure to vacuum and wash frequently.
- Do not allow pets in the bedroom.
- Wash and brush off pets fur everyday
- Bedding and carpets must be vacuum daily, wash them weekly.
- Use air purifier in bedroom to ensure better sleep
- Make natural cleaning products with baking soda,lavender oil and vinegar.
- Wash with organic soap or shampoo
- Keep track of your daily exposure and what can trigger an attack
- Stay indoor if air quality is polluted with dust or smoke
- Keep medication handy and when using an inhaler, be sure to use in correctly
- Cover your nose and mouth with proper mask when expose to outdoor.
- Animals faces, fur, pollen, decomposed food or mold can also trigger the attack
- Use organic essential oil
- Reduce certain food such as processed carbohydrates,trans fat, gluten or dairy product.
- Stop smoking and stay away from people when they smoke. Inhaling second hand smoke can also cause harm to your lungs. You are prone to viral or bacterial infection when your respiratory system was infected by the harmful substances from the cigarettes.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and rub in between each finger with soap. Ensure the little ones follow this habit whenever they touch something or before handling food and after each toilet used.
- If someone near you are having sign of cold or flu, its is best to keep a distance or advise the party to use a mouth mask.You may cover your nose with a handkerchief to avoid any droplets from his saliva.
- After work or school, remember to take a shower straight away once you arrive home. Dust particles or other air borne bacteria may have attach to your hair or body. After a washed up, you will not worry about getting your house and love ones being infected.
- Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in your pocket or bag when you visit public area. It is convenient to use without rinsing with water. After playing in the playground, at the beach or when the kids go for school trips.
- Build up your immune system with healthy diet consist of zinc and vitamin C. Include lots of fruits, vegetables and lean proteins from skinless chicken, soy, eggs and beans.
- Increase your intake of water daily. You can breathe better and cough less as water can reduce the mucus. Drink 2 glasses of cool water 2 hours interval.
Luo Han Guo –wash and crush 2 of them, put into a pot of 1.5 liter water.Boil and simmer for 1 hour. You can sweeten the drink with honey and drink it twice per week. It is the best herbs that can help to clear your lungs, moisten the throat, reduce the phlegm and cough.
Honeysuckle tea – add 1/2 cup honeysuckle (available in health food stores) and crushed water chestnuts to 1 liter of water to boil for 20 minutes. Drink this tea daily.
Honey and onion syrup – Store the mixture of 1 onion(minced)and 2 tbs of raw honey in a glass jar.Sealed the bottle and keep in the fridge for 8 hours. You can add 1 tbs to a cup of warm water and drink 4-5 times daily.
Daikon radish juice – Put 3 radish into a blender and strain to get the juice. Add 1 tbs honey and 1 teaspoon of ginger powder into the fresh juice and drink immediately. Drink daily or when condition has improved.
Asian pear dessert – Remove the core from the pear,add a tablespoon of raw honey into the middle of the pear. Steam the pear for 15-12 mins depend on the size. Eat the soft fruit when warm and drink the juice daily. It can help to smoothen your cough and reduce lungs inflammation.
Chicken soup with cordyceps – cordyceps herb is use for treating lung diseases such as asthma, bronchitis and heart disease. This herb can be added into soup for better absorption and keep your body warm.
- 10g of cordyceps (rinsed)
- -1 chicken, about 1kg (wash and chop into 4 parts)
- 1 liter of water
- 30g of fragrant Solomon’s seal rhizome
- 20g of Chinese yam(sliced)
- 6 to 8 pieces of dried longans (rinsed)
- 1 tbs of Chinese wolfberries, (rinse)
- 2 tsp of salt to taste
Put all the above into a double boiler, cover with water and keep boiling for 1 and ½ hour on medium heat. Drink the soup warm daily before bedtime.