This parasite can be transmitted to humans by eating raw or undercooked fish. It is a rare parasite that can live for a decade in the body and cause swelling under the skin. There have been a few instances where the worms burrowed deep into the organs to cause life-threatening impacts. But such are rare encounters.
Eating undercooked meat or fish is the most common ways people acquire this parasite. They can live in the intestines where they often produce no symptoms but can cause stomach cramps, loss of appetite and diarrhea. Certain types of tapeworms can also travel to the brain and produce larval cysts which trigger headaches and seizures.
These well-known creepy-crawlies are prevalent all over the world so much so that the infestations are becoming common. They only come out at to feast on human blood. Their bites are not infectious, but it can leave red welts. They’re also very difficult to exterminate, resulting in people dumping away infested clothing, furniture and bedding.
This is often referred to as an opportunistic parasite commonly affecting not only humans but also cats, dogs and birds. It can be transmitted by contaminated food or unclean water. Contracting it results in fatigue, foul-smelling, uncontrollable gas, rampant diarrhea and vomiting. After a week the parasite will leave the host, and in fact only half of the people who have the parasite show symptoms. So, there are possibility that the parasite is resting quietly inside your body right now.
This parasite usually settles into the belly of a cow or other grazing animal, but they are also known to attack humans too. The fluke uses ants as its initial host which seems to be the usual form of infection. If contracted, the parasite will produce mild symptoms like bowel disturbances but in some extreme cases, they can turn harmful by causing swelling of the bile duct tissues and inflammation of the liver.
They are a type of tropical bug that uses the hosts feet as a spawning ground. The female flea will burrow its way to the bottom of the foot after the male’s have fed on the hosts blood. A black blister forms and subsequently the female lays her eggs which hatch in a few weeks and the mother flea dies. If the mother flea is removed from the hosts skin either by falling out or by being scraped out, the host will be fine but gangrene can occur if the flea stays embedded in the skin.
Nearly one third of the world’s population has been infected with this parasite from eating undercooked meat or unwashed fruit. A major risk factor can be a pet cat. This parasite-infected human generally shows flu-like symptoms but there is also evidence that links the parasite to schizophrenia.
Usually found in temperate climates like the US, Europe and China, these worms tend to inhabit the colon and rectum. They feed on E. coli bacteria and many children catch this parasite by the age of 12. At night when the host is asleep, the female pin worm will emerge from the anus to lay her eggs on the surrounding skin. The eggs are itchy, causing children to scratch and further contaminates their fingers if they suck their thumbs or touch other kids who do likewise. Then the cycle repeats all over.
Human botfly are also known as Dermatobia hominis which is a tropical parasite that uses human skin as an incubator. This creature uses a clever strategy by laying eggs in mosquitoes and ticks which feed on human blood. As the bloodsuckers feed, they leave an itchy along with a mass of tiny larvae that creates a hole into the hosts skins. Inside the hosts, the larvae incubate for 10 weeks and breathe through a hole tunnelled through the skin. Upon maturation, they exit the body, otherwise infections can form and surgery will be necessary to remove the larvae.
It is the parasite that is contracted via drinking dirty water or infected by fleas containing the worm’s larvae. It may not produce symptoms for up to a year but during that time it actually mates and reproduces inside the hosts stomach. As a blister forms, the host will experience burning pain, rashes and fever symptoms. The worm then migrates once the blister pops and the female guinea worm will try to release a larva through the break in the skin. Humans can be infected with more than one worm at a time and the only way to remove it is by winding it around a stick. If the worm dies in the hosts body, arthritis or even paralysis may occur.
It is spread by bites from black flies or mosquitoes and can cause filariasis which refers to a collection of diseases with serious complications. These worms trigger infections that can cause river blindness and elephantiasis, an extremely painful swelling and thickening of the skin often on the hands and legs. These parasites are to be blamed for almost 14 million of disfigurements around the world, and can be regarded as an epidemic.
The worms affect humans after consuming food or water that has been contaminated with fecal matter from the stomach. They chew into the intestines and travel to the lungs to cause pneumonia, which may be fatal. Most people will be affected with a nagging cough along with phlegm containing the worms. As the host spits out the infected phlegm, the creatures will simply die but when swallowed, the infected phlegm with the mature worms will travel back to the stomach and starts all over again. As scary as it can be, about 1 in 4 humans are infected with these worms.
Loa Loa is a worm squirming around th eyeball. You can get this if get bitten by a certain type of flies. It usually leaves skin ulcers and then migrates to other places in the body but ultimately the goal is the eyes. They can live up to 17 years in a human body if untreated.
As its name suggests, it is actually a tiny catfish that latches onto larger fish to drink their blood. They are attracted to ammonia which is also what we secrete while urinating. The parasite follows the scent of ammonia right into the human urethra where it attaches its razor-sharp spine and starts feeding on blood.
Also known as Naegleria Fowleri, it is thought to be a relative newcomer. The parasite quickly made a name for itself as one of the deadliest parasites in the world as it is literally a brain eating amoeba. They inhabit the water and will enter the body through nose. Consequently, they start consuming brain tissue within a week of entering the host. The symptoms include vomiting, fever and hallucinations which can quickly develop into respiratory failure, seizures and death. The affect people from all around the world with a 95% mortality rate.